Friday 12 December 2014

Evaluation

In my initial proposal I was initially inspired by the power materials can hold, and the consumeristic values associated with art.

I think my work as deviated slightly, through this exploration and elective input, to be more influenced by illusion and the power of the object rather than specifically fashion as stated in my initial proposal. My work has developed to consider audience engagement and put the viewer’s reaction at the forefront. The purpose of creating a powerful object was so the viewer could feel an engrossment with it, a desire to look, to own.

My original idea was to create a shop window display featuring non wearable garments, however during my experimental stages I deviated away from the garment side and realized I was more influenced by the materials rather than the form of a garment. In the end I have produced a similar display- influenced by consumer values and advertising.  In the end I really simplified my content with influence from the avant-garde mini course. This power that the objects hold due to their aesthetic appeal, works on the viewers human desire to gaze and be captivated by the object. The object has power over the viewer. I wanted to show the juxtaposition between the raw materials and the influence of commodity and desire to produce an extra ordinary object from something mundane.

Though the content has changed, the context and themes of my work have remained. I have explored power and value associated with the object, its effect on society and the viewer as a consumer.

Overall I think studio 2a has definitely allowed me to explore and investigate concepts of interest, and electives such as the there-ness elective have sparked new ideas which have gone on to shape my studio work. I feel as though studio 2A has allowed me to understand art as a concept, my own practise, and established a signature style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment