Saturday 4 October 2014

CERITH WYN EVANS

Following a recent tutorial, I was advised to look at Cerith Wyn Evan's work. I was instantly intrigued by his sculptural work. Evans started out as a filmmaker but later began creating sculpture. His work focuses on language and perception, and conceptual insight into the exhibitions site and history.



Untitled (Flute Piece Incarnation White Cube Bermondsey) 2011

Column (Assemblages) VI 2010

I am inspired by this connection with the highly refined aesthetic - the opulent power these sculptures seem to exude. They create a sense of the ethereal and that is also what I want to provoke in my own work. Their fluidity and light creates a sense of another world, a greater dimension. These sculptures are not only highly captivating for the senses but also have great conceptual value about the space they are presented.

S=U=P=E=R=S=T=R=U=C=T=U=R=E ('Trace me back to some loud, shallow, chill, underlying motives overspill') 2010

These forms resemble trees, and the light which reflects off the floor exudes a sense of infinity. The photograph looks almost painterly due to the positioning and ambiance of the sculpture within the room.


Locus Solus 2010

Finally, a reflective plinth. This mirrored plinth is the only thing I am fully interested with in this sculpture, and I regard the base to have just as much value of whatever is on top of it. It's not an ordinary plinth- the structure and design of it let alone the reflectiveness. This is what really inspires me - the unordinary.

Sources: http://www.serpentinegalleries.org/exhibitions-events/cerith-wyn-evans ; http://whitecube.com/artists/cerith_wyn_evans/

No comments:

Post a Comment