Tuesday 7 October 2014

TUTORIAL: MEDINA

After going through my initial proposal we talked about some ideas;

The overall theme for my project is that I want to turn something ordinary into something extraordinary.

An idea was to use a 'humble' garment, like a falling apart or overused garment of some kind, with no particular aesthetic value as long as it kept this association with common place or necessity. A workers boot could be a good starting point. I would develop this and transform it into it's opposite - giving high aesthetical value. It is important for the original identity to remain in order for this to work for the viewer. 

Damien Hirst, For the Love of God, 2007 (Platinum, diamonds and human teeth)

This sort of works using the same themes as my own. The form of the human skull, is probably the most 'humble' forms you can use. It doesn't say anything - it exists exactly in that form and cannot be judged. Everyone has one. The diamonds and platinum take this 'ordinary' object and transform it into something to be judged. It has gained aesthetical value. It has gained a sort of power it didn't have before. 

It is now in a context to be looked at in a way it has never been viewed before. 

Other ideas mentioned; 
- using mock gold leaf. I could experiment with different materials such as this to try and achieve that aesthetical value I am after. 

- Creating sculpture digitally. I think this could be interesting! Materials I am after are expensive and difficult to get hold of in quantity. Perhaps transforming sculpture into digital could be the way forward... hologram of a sculpture? Projection of a sculpture? This would definitely be a form of paradox art and a whole new juxtaposition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment