Monday 3 November 2014

2ND & 3RD YEAR CRITIQUE

After explaining my concepts including power, desire, object and consumerism, and displaying my works, I received some feedback;

The viewers said how they liked the screw sculptural experimental piece , as it looked like a natural form like a tree. They also understood the juxtaposition between the natural element and the artificial/ manmade material. I quite like working in this way, including this juxtaposition.

One recommendation for this was to welder or solder the materials together instead of glue which would give a smoother finish. 

They also highlighted the fact I had taken usable materials, like screws and pins, and created something aesthetically pleasing rather than functional. I have removed the functionality and replaced it with glamour, another juxtaposition. 

One person also highlighted how some of the materials i'm looking at remind them of magnetic balls, and thought how I could perhaps experiment with these working around mannequins. This would also give a smoother finish, no need for glue or welding as they hold together themselves. 

Artists recommended to look at:

Alexis Rago 

Terence McKenna (about consumerism philosophy)

Dorothy Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment