Tuesday 11 November 2014

TUTORIAL ; MEDINA; IDEAS

Notes and ideas from todays tutorial.
I started making my jacket sculpture and got disheartened at the fact it was not turning out well. It did not look perfect enough. The material could look perfect if I worked extremely hard with the right tools, but I think it could possibly be too difficult with the time, materials and tools I have.
I want to create something perfect.

Simplicity is perfect. Not something you can strive to achieve.

I am creating an object of desire, making the object unobtainable. This is frequent in the fashion world- fashion houses make objects and garments so expensive they are out of peoples reach,

Perfume, Make-up, jewellery, lingerie, packaging. These all connect with desire.

My previous resin idea of suspending a jacket in a block of resin.  I liked the idea of suspending or trapping things in resin which is a perfect material. I could do this on a smaller scale.

We looked at Cathy De Monchau's work, which is beautiful but has a slight juxtaposition at the same time. It denies the viewer, and gives at the same time. This works on the 'you want what you cant have' aspect.

We talked about a Chanel perfume bottle. The simplistic, iconic design is seductive. After looking at 'Lady Dior's' sculpture piece, I thought about doing a similar thing with the Chanel bottle form and suspending something inside it. I could create a mold from clay and cast it in resin. But this would not be perfect enough. I could never re-create a Chanel perfume bottle to be perfect. It already is. Luckily I already have a Chanel perfume bottle so will think about using latex and resin to cast from it.



The item within the bottle will have a strong significance. Items of luxury. I thought about a single strand of silk or lace- a precious material. Or a single rose petal as that is what Chanel use a lot of in the production. The simplicity is perfection in itself. I can't strive to achieve perfection like with the gauze jacket. I need objects that are already desirable.

As a consumer, what are they selling us. Perfume adverts- a life style? Perhaps inside the bottle could be a representation of lifestyle.

I will now look at exaggerating or demonstrating objects of desire. A single rose petal in a Chanel bottle. This is beauty in itself- is a rose petal mundane or humble? Perhaps not, but it has been lifted in it's context- roses are a symbol of love or appreciation. And a large ingredient in Chanel.


No comments:

Post a Comment