Tuesday 4 November 2014

Research: Consumerism, Philosophy, Sociology..desire

In Studio 1B I briefly touched on consumerism and was recommended to read the books No Logo by Naomi Klein, and The Consumption Reader by David B. Clarke. I thought I would go over these points again. I feel intrigued to be exploring consumerism in my studio project, and the principles which make objects have value.

In the book No Logo, it mentions Alexis de Tocqueville, a philosopher in 1835 who stated " I fear that the productions of democratic poets may often be surcharged  with immense and incoherent imagery, with exaggerated descriptions and strange creations; and that the fantastic beings of their brain may sometimes make us regret the world of reality." - page 143.
I interpret this by meaning, that the productions of democratic poets (meaning artists, creators in general) which the imagination can create (e.g. over the top, beautiful looking, mesmerising art and clothing), may cause people such a desire, such a longing for more of this ethereal reality that they are being fed. And I think that is what caused the materialistic desire.

It goes on to say about how this has come true- through great architecture, art, cartoons, and how now society wants to in fact disappear  into 'shiny, perfect, unreal objects.' This represents materialism - people desire this other world because reality itself has been made to appear 'mundane' in comparison.

While browsing the philosophical sections of the library I was influenced to look at philosopher Jean Baudrillard, whom Jared also mentioned to look at in a previous tutorial.

His early books talk about consumerism; The System of ObjectsFor a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign, and The Consumer Society.
An objects meaning is only understandable in relation to other objects, for example if something is considered beautiful, like a fabric, then it is only beautiful compared to an ugly fabric. This relates to objects and value, which is basically what I have been investigating throughout my studio project. I have been looking at adding and taking away value from materials.

He explains an 'object value system' as shown below.

1. Functional value
2. Exchange value
3. Symbolic value
4. Sign value

These principles can be applied to all objects, and I can see how they fit in with fashion, art and materials of desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment