Sunday 23 November 2014

There-ness elective artists and inspiration

Throughout my elective i've become increasingly inspired by the illusion. Materials that work to create an illusion. This is shaping my studio practise as i've started to capture the illusionistic properties of materials. This still connects to my theme of power in objects.

I'm interested in artists that disrupt the norm and disrupt a space.

Untitled (from series Subtraction as Addition) - Raphael Hefti - 2012 - 52718
Raphael Hefti, Subtraction as Addition. 2012. Luxar coated glass.
http://whitecube.com/exhibitions/raphael_hefti_inside_the_white_cube_2012/ 

This piece in particular grasped my interest. The iridescent colour and reflective qualities of the glass is aesthetically pleasing and definitely a sight to look at, but the fact it is partially transparent creates this sense of intrigue and thereness. You are seeing two planes at once. I also find it fascinating that luxar is a material used to stop reflections, but it has been coated so much that it has done the exact opposite in this case.

L
Raphael Hefti. Lycopodium. 2012. Triptych, each: 239 3/8 x 51 3/16 x 1 15/16 in. (608 x 130 x 5 cm) (framed)
Photogram

This also really stood out to me on the whitecube website. It looks like something literally out of this world- another world, another dimension.

001
Regine Schumann 'no sin ti'

Her work involves florescent acrylic plastic and that's what really got my attention. This material could be of use in my own studio practise.


No comments:

Post a Comment