Saturday 15 November 2014

THERENESS ELECTIVE. ANOTHER WORLD

This elective made me think about what I want to do with my art. "Thereness - there in position presence in a place, distinguishably there, not here." I am interested in the concept of space time perception.

"The work contains an open invitation to the viewer, a framework of possibilities that the viewer completes"

"Durational, momentary, ephemeral, transitional, illusionistic, perceptual"

Model for a timeless garden 2013, Olafur Eliasson. This was an installation based piece that really captured the beauty of the most simple of objects- water. Using a strobe light to change the way we perceive what we see, changing the way we see the world. Captures water droplets as though they were a photograph. The experience only lasts a moment.


It is interesting - this change of perception allows us to view a 'ordinary' object as something incredibly beautiful.


Tim Jockel for fashion label Stefan Eckert. Director Florian Sigi. 3D fashion show, Hamburg, March 2011.

This fashion show captures everything. The sound, the light, the whole atmosphere is an incredible experience. The holographic effects make this so much more immersive than just fashion, or just art. It is an experience. Watching this fashion show, and other works by Tim Jockel gives me that sense of awe that I was striving to create. It just takes you to another world- changing your perceptions of where you are.



Being so inspired by Jockel's work, I researched more on his website. Above are some stills from Tim Jockel, Holographic Sculpture, 2014.

This is so beautifully mesmerizing. It is perfect. If I could create something similar... That holographic light, the ripples and waves. The way it moves flawlessly and in sync with the music. I know nothing about motion graphics but this has made me want to.
I want to create an illusion in a way.


This is my favorite shirt I have ever bought. The material is iridescent. This is one of the biggest inspirations for my art. This shirt is art. In one light it is pink, in another bright turqoise, and in another there is no colour. What colour is really there? It creates an illusion. This is an embodiment of thereness. 
This also links into my themes of consumerism and the power of the object  because of material, This object has been given power- because it has a sense of awe about it to the viewer. People want to own it because it is mesmerising, different..


I want to create an experience for the viewer, an extravagant sense of awe. I suppose this is where the striving to achieve an aesthetically pleasing garment idea came from.

Cling film with gold paint experiment inspired by holograms and shirt.

Here I have turned something ordinary into an extra ordinary object. I could make a shirt out of this, turning a mundane object into something illusionistic. I love the way the ripples catch the light, and it's reflective qualities.

Throughout my practise I keep using the words 'ethereal' and 'otherworldly' to try to describe what I want to create. I've just realised, I want to create a sense of ANOTHER WORLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment