Monday 3 November 2014

PINS SHOE CLAY EXPERIMENT & GAUZE SAMPLES

After the critique I decided to try other ways of creating forms using found shiny materials without glue or anything that would look tacky.




Trying other ways of moulding pins in the shoe form, I made a clay shoe form and stuck pins into it.

After talking to 3D workshop technician about my ideas, he advised me to look at calving a shoe out of polystyrene and stick pins into it as this would look more effective and could be easier to achieve what I wanted.

I wanted to weld the pins together initially, so we asked another technician if there were any suitable tools, and unfortunately this sort of metal/ task would be too difficult to achieve the desired affect, so she suggested a metal gauze material which I could then stick pins into.
Below is a sample.

This would be so perfect. It holds the pins securely and has a shiny finish to it. I then thought about how this would look as a garment. I could cut pattern pieces out and sew them together with fine metal wire and make a jacket. 

This sort of reminds me of armour, or protective scales on a fish in a way... maybe this is another route I could explore.



A cheaper alternative would be to use a slightly larger metal gauze as a frame as shown above. This could work however the pins do not stick in easily. I could experiment making a frame for a garment, or the garment itself. It still has shiny qualities, though not as desirable as the first smaller gauze.


No comments:

Post a Comment